“God saw everything that He had made, and, indeed, it was very good.” (Genesis 1:31 NRSV)
God is the active creator of all things. God speaks and the world is formed. God acts and the human family is created in God’s image. God calls all persons into the family of God.
Through Jesus Christ, God speaks, acts and calls into being a new community; a community of love, compassion, justice and peace. Christians are those people who accept that call and strive to follow the one whose name they bear.
We, the Virlina District of the Church of the Brethren, accept God’s call. By the power of the Holy Spirit we seek to be faithful to the Gospel in word and deed. Drawing upon our Pietist and Anabaptist traditions, we affirm that faith cannot be constrained by simple statements and creeds. Therefore, we hold the New Testament to be our rule of faith and practice.
“...be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God - what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2 NRSV)
That which God creates, God also redeems. Therefore the mission of the Virlina District is to:
- be faithful caretakers of this wondrous gift through outdoor ministries
- promote renewal through education, spiritual growth and worship.
“But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” (I Peter 2:9 NRSV)
Through baptism, each Christian is called to be in ministry. Therefore the mission of the Virlina District is to:
- equip and strengthen local congregations;
- join with congregations in calling and training persons for set-apart ministry;
- identify and develop human and material resources for the work of the District.
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey everything that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20a NRSV)
“...truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” (Matthew 25:40 NRSV)
As those who continue the work of Jesus, the mission of the Virlina District is to:
- encourage congregations to call new disciples;
- establish fellowships that share the vision of the Church of the Brethren;
- create and support compassion, justice, peace and love.