- 2017 Prayers for Peace Day - Worship Resources
- "Seed, Scattered & Sown: Reaching Beyond this Generation" Mission Resourcing Campaign Resources
- Bulletin insert with Disaster Response information and ways to help with the flooding relief efforts (.pdf) - shared with us by pastor Tom Powers (Microsoft Word version available here.)
- Bethany Sunday Resources - October 15, 2017. Each fall Bethany invites congregations to remember the Seminary’s mission to educate spiritual and intellectual leaders for ministry by including Bethany in their worship services. Resources are provided by Bethany to help prepare for this celebration of ministry education.
- On Earth Peace Worship Resources - These are worship resources written by staff and board members of On Earth Peace. They can be used on the Sunday of Advent in which the Peace candle is lit.
"Ventures in Christian Discipleship" - Online Classes by McPherson College
The “Ventures in Christian Discipleship” program at McPherson (Kan.) College is moving into its sixth year of providing useful, affordable education to small church congregations. Ventures courses, while not for college credit, offer high-quality instruction. The goal of the program is to empower lay people, especially in smaller congregations, to more effectively carry out the work of discipleship, following in Jesus’ footsteps to transform ourselves and the world.
Technology Requirements for Live Courses: If you can surf the web, you will be able to participate in our online courses! For the best experience, we recommend that you have a computer with high-speed internet connection and external powered speakers. We encourage several people to share a computer to participate in a course together! No camera or microphone needed for most courses.
Classes are held on their appointed days from 9 am - 12 pm CST. All classes are donation-based and continuing education credit is available for $10 per course. To learn more about Ventures in Christian Discipleship and to register for courses, visit www.mcpherson.edu/ventures.
The classes being offered include the following:
- September 16, 2017: "Welcoming Muslims: Understanding the Differences between 98% of the World’s Muslims, Islamists, and Jihadists” by Dr. Kirk MacGregor, Assistant Professor of Philosophy & Religion at McPherson College
- October 14, 2017: “Navigating Religious Diversity: An Introduction to Interfaith Cooperation” by Rev. Zandra Wagoner, Ph.D., Interfaith Chaplain at the University of La Verne
- November 11, 2017: “Welcome to Transformation” by Irvin R. Heishman, Pastor of West Charleston Church of the Brethren & Beth Gunzel
- January 20, 2018: “Congregation in Mission” by Jim Tomlonson, Retired Church of the Brethren pastor, district executive, & teacher
- February 10, 2018: “How the Bible Came to be The Bible” by Carol A. Scheppard, 2017 Moderator of the Church of the Brethren & Professor of theCollege at Bridgewater College
- March 17, 2018: “Revitalizing Worship through the Arts” by Rev. Dr. Bobbi Dykema, Pastor & professor serving in the Pacific Northwest Districtof the Church of the Brethren
- April 14, 2018: “Congregations Nurturing a Culture of Call: Why It Matters” by Joe Detrick, Retired district executive minister in the Church of the Brethren
Brethren Academy Classes and Information
The Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership (BAML) now has the ability to accept online registrations and payments for many of our programs. Students may register for English-language courses as well as make payments through the Bethany website. In addition to course fees, Directed Independent Study Unit fees, TRIM/EFSM enrollment fees and TRIM student yearly fees, are accepted online.
At this time, district fees, congregational fees, and Spanish-language program fees still need to be made by mailing a check to the Brethren Academy office.
To register or pay online, please visit bethanyseminary.edu/brethren-academy/. Look for the green Registration/Payment button on our home page or course listings page.
- Clergy Tax Seminar – Saturday, January 27, 2018: Students, pastors, and other church leaders are invited to attend either in person at Bethany Theological Seminary or online.
- Elements of Preaching
Instructor: Dawn Ottoni-Wilhelm
January 17-19, 2018 (Bethany Theological Seminary)
Registration deadline: December 11, 2017
- The Gospel of John
Instructor: Andrew Hamilton
January 29-March 23, 2018 (online)
Registration deadline: December 18, 2017
- Now the Silence, Now the Songs: An Introduction to Worship in the Church
Instructor: Lee-Lani Wright
March 14 – May 8, 2018 (online)
Registration deadline: February 7, 2018
- What Brethren Believe
Instructor: Denise Kettering-Lane
April 12-15, 2018 (McPherson College)
Registration deadline: March 5, 2018
Lombard Mennonite Peace Center
Event: Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders
Date: Monday-Friday, March 12-16, 2018
Host: Forest Lake Presbyterian Church
Location: Columbia, SC
This five-day training is intended to equip church leaders with the skills necessary to deal effectively with interpersonal, congregational, and other forms of group conflict. It includes lectures, discussion, and guided practice in role plays. Active and practical in focus, the sessions emphasize hands-on skills training and real life role-plays, based on the types of conflicts faced by participants. This training is useful for pastors, judicatory staff, lay leaders, and others who serve with churches and church ministries. The brochure can be downloaded from the LMPC website at https://www.lmpeacecenter.o
CHRISTIAN GROWTH INSTITUTE - ROANOKE CENTER WINTER 2018
The first class at the Roanoke center for 2018 is BRETHREN LIFE AND THOUGHT, taught by David K. Shumate. District Executive Minister. These Sunday afternoon classes will be held January 14, January 28, February 11
and February 25, 2018 from 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. (weather permitting) at the District Resource Center, 3402 Plantation Road, NE, Roanoke, VA. Tuition for the class is $75.00 and students are responsible for purchasing
the required textbooks which are: Fruit of the Vine, Donald F. Durnbaugh, Brethren press, 1997 and Another Way of Believing: A Brethren Theology, Dale W Brown, Brethren Press, 2005. For more information or to obtain a registration form, please contact Judy Mills, Center Coordinator at (540) 992-1980 or <email@example.com>. Make checks payable to VIRLINA DISTRICT and mail to: Judy Mills, Roanoke Center Coordinator, 2805 Nace Rd, Fincastle, VA 24090-4515. CEU credit is available for ordained ministers who choose to audit CGI classes.
CHRISTIAN GROWTH INSTITUTE - SOUTHERN CENTER WINTER 2018
"Teaching and Learning in the Church" will be taught by Tabitha H. Rudy, Interim Associate District Executive Minister, on the following Saturdays: January 13, January 27 and February 10. Classes will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Coulson Church of the Brethren. Students will need to purchase the following books: Powerful Lesson Planning: Every Teacher's Guide to Effective Instruction by Janice Skowron (ISBN 978-1-63450-353-2) and Christian Education and the Emerging Church: Postmodern Faith Formation by Wendi Sargeant (ISBN 978-1-4982-0430-9). They are available on Amazon and at other major book stores. Other reading materials will be provided in class. Because of scheduling conflicts, there are only three sessions. It is important that students get a syllabus and come prepared for the first session of class. For more information or to obtain a registration form, please contact Sue Morris, Center Coordinator at (540) 651-8331 or <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Make checks payable to VIRLINA DISTRICT and mail to: Sue Morris, Roanoke Center Coordinator, P.O. Box 8, Copper Hill, Virginia 24079-0008. CEU credit is available for ordained ministers who choose to audit CGI classes.
CHRISTIAN GROWTH INSTITUTE – SHENANDOAH CENTER – WINTER 2018
The Old Testament Class will be offered by the Shenandoah Center of the Christian Growth Institute during the Winter Session. Ryan Cooper, pastor of the Emmanuel Church of the Brethren in Mount Solon, Virginia, will be the instructor. The dates are January 6, January 27 and February 17, 2018. The Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament will serve as the text book for the course. For more information or to obtain a registration form, please contact Sarah Long, Center Coordinator at (540) 908-0423 or <email@example.com>. Tuition for the class is $75.00. Make checks payable to VIRLINA DISTRICT and mail to: Sarah Long, Shenandoah Center Coordinator, 205 South Willow Street, Apartment C, Harrisonburg, VA 22801-1937. CEU credit is available for ordained ministers who audit class sessions.
To learn more about the Christian Growth Institute, check out it's page here.
Coming soon! :)