- 2017 Prayers for Peace Day - Worship Resources
- "Seed, Scattered & Sown: Reaching Beyond this Generation" Mission Resourcing Campaign Resources
- Bulletin insert with Disaster Response information and ways to help with the flooding relief efforts (.pdf) - shared with us by pastor Tom Powers (Microsoft Word version available here.)
- Bethany Sunday Resources - October 15, 2017. Each fall Bethany invites congregations to remember the Seminary’s mission to educate spiritual and intellectual leaders for ministry by including Bethany in their worship services. Resources are provided by Bethany to help prepare for this celebration of ministry education.
"Ventures in Christian Discipleship" - Online Classes by McPherson College
The “Ventures in Christian Discipleship” program at McPherson (Kan.) College is moving into its sixth year of providing useful, affordable education to small church congregations. Ventures courses, while not for college credit, offer high-quality instruction. The goal of the program is to empower lay people, especially in smaller congregations, to more effectively carry out the work of discipleship, following in Jesus’ footsteps to transform ourselves and the world.
Technology Requirements for Live Courses: If you can surf the web, you will be able to participate in our online courses! For the best experience, we recommend that you have a computer with high-speed internet connection and external powered speakers. We encourage several people to share a computer to participate in a course together! No camera or microphone needed for most courses.
Classes are held on their appointed days from 9 am - 12 pm CST. All classes are donation-based and continuing education credit is available for $10 per course. To learn more about Ventures in Christian Discipleship and to register for courses, visit www.mcpherson.edu/ventures.
The classes being offered include the following:
- September 16, 2017: "Welcoming Muslims: Understanding the Differences between 98% of the World’s Muslims, Islamists, and Jihadists” by Dr. Kirk MacGregor, Assistant Professor of Philosophy & Religion at McPherson College
- October 14, 2017: “Navigating Religious Diversity: An Introduction to Interfaith Cooperation” by Rev. Zandra Wagoner, Ph.D., Interfaith Chaplain at the University of La Verne
- November 11, 2017: “Welcome to Transformation” by Irvin R. Heishman, Pastor of West Charleston Church of the Brethren & Beth Gunzel
- January 20, 2018: “Congregation in Mission” by Jim Tomlonson, Retired Church of the Brethren pastor, district executive, & teacher
- February 10, 2018: “How the Bible Came to be The Bible” by Carol A. Scheppard, 2017 Moderator of the Church of the Brethren & Professor of theCollege at Bridgewater College
- March 17, 2018: “Revitalizing Worship through the Arts” by Rev. Dr. Bobbi Dykema, Pastor & professor serving in the Pacific Northwest Districtof the Church of the Brethren
- April 14, 2018: “Congregations Nurturing a Culture of Call: Why It Matters” by Joe Detrick, Retired district executive minister in the Church of the Brethren
Brethren Academy Classes and Information
NEW! Online Registration and Payment
The Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership (BAML) now has the ability to accept online registrations and payments for many of our programs. Students may register for English-language courses as well as make payments through the Bethany website. In addition to course fees, Directed Independent Study Unit fees, TRIM/EFSM enrollment fees and TRIM student yearly fees, are accepted online.
At this time, district fees, congregational fees, and Spanish-language program fees still need to be made by mailing a check to the Brethren Academy office.
To register or pay online, please visit bethanyseminary.edu/brethren-academy/. Look for the green Registration/Payment button on our home page or course listings page.
- Clergy Tax Seminar – Saturday, January 27, 2018: Students, pastors, and other church leaders are invited to attend either in person at Bethany Theological Seminary or online.
- Elements of Preaching
Instructor: Dawn Ottoni-Wilhelm
January 17-19, 2018 (Bethany Theological Seminary)
Registration deadline: December 11, 2017
- The Gospel of John
Instructor: Andrew Hamilton
January 29-March 23, 2018 (online)
Registration deadline: December 18, 2017
- Now the Silence, Now the Songs: An Introduction to Worship in the Church
Instructor: Lee-Lani Wright
March 14 – May 8, 2018 (online)
Registration deadline: February 7, 2018
Brochure to come
- What Brethren Believe
Instructor: Denise Kettering-Lane
April 12-15, 2018 (McPherson College)
Registration deadline: March 5, 2018
Brochure to come
Lombard Mennonite Peace Center
Event: Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders
Date: Monday-Friday, March 12-16, 2018
Host: Forest Lake Presbyterian Church
Location: Columbia, SC
This five-day training is intended to equip church leaders with the skills necessary to deal effectively with interpersonal, congregational, and other forms of group conflict. It includes lectures, discussion, and guided practice in role plays. Active and practical in focus, the sessions emphasize hands-on skills training and real life role-plays, based on the types of conflicts faced by participants. This training is useful for pastors, judicatory staff, lay leaders, and others who serve with churches and church ministries. The brochure can be downloaded from the LMPC website at https://www.lmpeacecenter.o
Coming soon! :)