- 2017 Prayers for Peace Day - Worship Resources
- "Seed, Scattered & Sown: Reaching Beyond this Generation" Mission Resourcing Campaign Resources
- Bulletin insert with Disaster Response information and ways to help with the flooding relief efforts (.pdf) - shared with us by pastor Tom Powers (Microsoft Word version available here.)
- Bethany Sunday Resources - October 15, 2017. Each fall Bethany invites congregations to remember the Seminary’s mission to educate spiritual and intellectual leaders for ministry by including Bethany in their worship services. Resources are provided by Bethany to help prepare for this celebration of ministry education.
CHRISTIAN GROWTH INSTITUTE – ROANOKE CENTER CLASS
The fall/winter class for the Roanoke Center will be EVANGELISM & OUTREACH taught by Dava Hensley. Classes will be held on the following Sunday afternoons: October 8, October 29, November 19, and December 3, 2017. Each session will be held from 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the District Resource Center, 3402 Plantation Road, NE, Roanoke, VA. Tuition for the class is $75.00 and students are responsible for purchasing the required textbooks which are: Biblical Perspectives on Evangelism by Walter Bruggemann, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1993; Introducing the Missional Church by Alan J. Roxburgh and M. Scott Boren, 2009; and Irresistible Evangelism by Steve Sjogren, Dave Ping, and Doug Polluck, 2004. For more information or to obtain an application please contact Judy Mills, Center Coordinator - Phone: (540) 992-1980, E-mail: <firstname.lastname@example.org>. Make checks payable to VIRLINA DISTRICT and mail with registration to: Judy Mills, Roanoke Center Coordinator, 2805 Nace Rd, Fincastle, VA 24090-4515. CEU credit is available for ordained ministers who choose to audit CGI classes.
CHRISTIAN GROWTH INSTITUTE – SOUTHERN CENTER CLASS
Biblical Interpretation is the next course to be offered by the Southern Center of the Christian Growth Institute. The sessions for this course will be held at the Coulson Church of the Brethren located at 4127 Coulson Church Road, Hillsville, VA 24343. The Coulson Church is just off of Exit 19 of I-77. The instructor for this course will be Ed Woodard. Brother Ed is the interim pastor of the Smith Mountain Lake Community Church of the Brethren and was the longtime pastor of the Oak Grove Church in Roanoke, Virginia.
The course sessions will be held on the following Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.: October 14, October 28, November 4 and November 18, 2017. The current registration deadline is September 23, 2017. Textbooks for this course are: Genesis by Gerhard Von Rad (Westminster Press), Epistle to the Romans by C.K. Barrett (Harper & Row), The Good News According to Mark, by Eduard Schweizer (John Knox Press) and an optional resource, Hearing the New Testament – Strategies for Interpretation by Joel Green (Eerdmans Publishing). Registration forms are available from Sue Morris by calling her at (540) 651-8331 or (540) 250-2741, by U.S. Mail at P.O. Box 8, Copper Hill, Virginia 24079 or by e-mail at <email@example.com>.
NEW CHURCH DEVELOPMENT RETREAT - OCTOBER 20-22, 2017
"Ventures in Christian Discipleship" - Online Classes by McPherson College
The “Ventures in Christian Discipleship” program at McPherson (Kan.) College is moving into its sixth year of providing useful, affordable education to small church congregations. Ventures courses, while not for college credit, offer high-quality instruction. The goal of the program is to empower lay people, especially in smaller congregations, to more effectively carry out the work of discipleship, following in Jesus’ footsteps to transform ourselves and the world.
Technology Requirements for Live Courses: If you can surf the web, you will be able to participate in our online courses! For the best experience, we recommend that you have a computer with high-speed internet connection and external powered speakers. We encourage several people to share a computer to participate in a course together! No camera or microphone needed for most courses.
Classes are held on their appointed days from 9 am - 12 pm CST. All classes are donation-based and continuing education credit is available for $10 per course. To learn more about Ventures in Christian Discipleship and to register for courses, visit www.mcpherson.edu/ventures.
The classes being offered include the following:
- September 16, 2017: "Welcoming Muslims: Understanding the Differences between 98% of the World’s Muslims, Islamists, and Jihadists” by Dr. Kirk MacGregor, Assistant Professor of Philosophy & Religion at McPherson College
- October 14, 2017: “Navigating Religious Diversity: An Introduction to Interfaith Cooperation” by Rev. Zandra Wagoner, Ph.D., Interfaith Chaplain at the University of La Verne
- November 11, 2017: “Welcome to Transformation” by Irvin R. Heishman, Pastor of West Charleston Church of the Brethren & Beth Gunzel
- January 20, 2018: “Congregation in Mission” by Jim Tomlonson, Retired Church of the Brethren pastor, district executive, & teacher
- February 10, 2018: “How the Bible Came to be The Bible” by Carol A. Scheppard, 2017 Moderator of the Church of the Brethren & Professor of theCollege at Bridgewater College
- March 17, 2018: “Revitalizing Worship through the Arts” by Rev. Dr. Bobbi Dykema, Pastor & professor serving in the Pacific Northwest Districtof the Church of the Brethren
- April 14, 2018: “Congregations Nurturing a Culture of Call: Why It Matters” by Joe Detrick, Retired district executive minister in the Church of the Brethren
Coming soon! :)